What is Laser Hair Removal?
Imagine the freedom of never having to shave or wax again. Advanced laser technology now means that hair removal is safer, faster and more effective than ever before. In fact, most of our clients experience between 80% – 95% reduction of unwanted hair within 5 laser hair removal treatments.
At Ottawa Laser Clinic, we use the LightSheer Diode, the widely-considered “gold standard” of lasers for hair removal in the industry. This Health Canada-approved, state of the art technology provides jaw-dropping results in a remarkably short period of time.
In addition to silky smooth skin, laser hair removal means no more razor burn or in-growns. And of course, time savings – permanent hair removal means you no longer have to shave or wax!
All skin tones can be treated with our laser technology but for best results, the hair being removed should be darker than the skin tone. Hair that is blonde, red, white or grey isn’t treatable because there is not enough pigment for the laser to target.
What to Expect
During treatment, most people experience a slight discomfort that is typically well-tolerated. If necessary, we can use cooling methods to soothe discomfort. Most treatments can be done in 15 minutes to 1 hour.
Immediately after treatment, it is not uncommon to have redness or sensitivity that tends to disappear within 24 hours. If needed, we will apply a soothing post-laser treatment and sun protection. Treated hair should shed approximately 2 weeks after your last laser session.
Before your laser hair removal treatment, you should:
- avoid prolonged sun exposure for 4 weeks prior to your first laser session. Skin cannot be suntanned at time of treatment.
- avoid self-tanning products for 2 weeks prior. In between sessions is fine but skin needs to be free of self-tanners at the time of treatment.
- shave area to be treated on the day of treatment prior to coming in unless instructed otherwise. A close shave is required.
- advise your technician of any changes to your health and medications
- refrain from waxing/plucking/tweezing/threading/electrolysis for 4 weeks prior to treatment (and no more after starting laser!) Shaving before and in between treatments is fine.
- avoid retinol and very active skin care products for 5-7 days pre-treatment (only on areas being treated)
- do not apply any lotions or oils on the skin prior to treatment on the day of.
After treatment, you should:
- apply SPF 30+ to areas exposed to sun every 2 hours
- avoid prolonged sun exposure for 4 weeks post-treatment
- apply Zensa healing cream as necessary to soothe skin in treated areas
- avoid excessive exercise for 2-3 days post-treatment
- avoid swimming, hot tubs, saunas for 2-3 days post-treatment
- avoid retinol and very active skin care products for 5-7 days post-treatment (only on areas being treated)
- exfoliate starting 1 week post-treatment to encourage hair to shed faster and help to lessen and prevent ingrown hairs