Unwanted pigmentation is an easier fix than you might think
If you’re living with unwanted pigmentation, such as age spots, sun spots or freckles, we can help. Also known as pigmented lesions, unwanted pigmentation are areas of the skin that have more melanin and tend to look darker than one’s natural skin tone.
They can be caused by any number of factors, including genetics, hormonal changes, sun exposure or just the natural aging process. In some cases, it can also be caused by inflammation in the skin, such as acne. This is known as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH).
With our PicoSure laser technology, you can say so long to unwanted spots. The PicoSure laser targets the excess melanin and breaks it into smaller particles, so that the immune system can remove it.
By reducing or eliminating unwanted pigmented lesions, you will achieve a more even skin tone, automatically leaving your skin feeling younger and more radiant. With little to no discomfort, and a quick treatment time, most people go back to regular activities right away. And applying makeup, post-procedure is no problem.
If you have uneven skin tone or benign pigmented lesions, you are likely well-suited to pigmentation removal. During your consultation, we will carefully assess your skin to be certain that you are a good candidate.
What to Expect
Before we begin the removal process, a technician will remove makeup and cleanse the skin in the area that is being treated. Powerful laser light pulses are then used to target the pigmented area to start the breakdown of melanin which will then be eliminated through your immune system.
The optimal results of the treatment are seen 4-8 weeks, post-treatment, and depending on your unique pigmentation, additional treatments may be required.
Don’t be alarmed if the pigmentation initially looks darker in colour. This is normal, and the pigment will begin to lighten approximately 7-14 days post treatment. And while there are few side effects, it is also normal to experience mild redness and swelling for 1-7 days post-treatment.
Prior to your treatment, you should:
- avoid sun exposure, tanning beds and sunless tanning cream for 4 weeks in advance of treatment, as sun exposure can increase the chance of post-treatment complications
- be sure to use a broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher, and apply to the skin every 2 hours when exposed to the sun
- remove makeup, creams or oils on day of treatment, and if desired, apply Zensa numbing cream to the area, 30—45 minutes prior to treatment
After your pigmentation removal treatment, you should:
- cleanse the treated area daily with water and mild soap and pat the area dry
- keep the area well hydrated with a soothing moisturizer and avoid sun exposure, always wearing sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher
- avoid swimming, and soaking in hot tubs or whirlpools until the skin heals
- avoid contact sports or any other activity that could cause injury to the treated area
- not shave or pick the area if crusting or scabbing occurs, and avoid rubbing or scratching the treated area
- contact your physician if you experience anything resembling an infection, such as excessive redness, pus or tenderness